Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Dark Side

Like it or not, my city is still heavily segregated. Certain parts of town are heavily white, while others are heavily Latino, or heavily Black. 

On this day, I am installing cable in a section 8 apt. complex and this specific apartment is owned by an elderly African American woman. 

I am running cable around to the tv's in the rooms, and more specifically the bedroom. On the bed is two young black women. Feeling awkward I busily run the line.   The grandmother comes in and sits on the bed with the young women. I can feel the 3 women watching me. I look over my shoulder, and the grandmother asks me a question.
"Ever been with a black woman before?"
Caught off guard I blurt out "Nope."
"Want to?"
It had the distinct feeling of pimpery.  I could have pointed at one of the woman and said "Her."  but instead I gulped hard and started talking about how awesome my wife is. Their eyes rolled, and I continued my work and got out of there.

No comments:

Post a Comment