Friday, September 19, 2014

The proper way to tip

Working for a cable company, we technicians are not supposed to receive tips.   If you ask us, we will tell you, no it's ok, please don't.   I have said this to many many people, and turned down lots of extra cash, because if I get caught taking tips it would be detrimental to my working status.

I was doing an install at an apartment when the age old question came up, can you run cords to all the other rooms in the apartment that don't have outlets.   The guy was a Russian, thick accent, awesome to listen to, but I still had to turn him down because it is against MDU policy (which was covered in a previous post.)

The guy BS'd with me for a while, stating how hard it would be for his wife to not have tv etc while I was installing his internet.   He didn't hassle or get upset, just talked about what it was like in his shoes.   I apologized again as I made my way to leave after the job was complete.   The guy sticks his hand out, looks me in the eye, and smiles while he shook my hand.   He didn't say anything, but I could feel the cash pressed between our palms.   I smiled back, "You know, I may have some extra cable laying around that I'm not using.  What gets hooked up after I'm gone isn't on me."

He nodded, and patted me on the back while I went and made him some long jumpers for the other bedrooms.  

Mafia style FTW.

No comments:

Post a Comment