Saturday, September 20, 2014

Winter Time

Ice storm, lines down all over town.   Most cable guys can't get out of their neighborhoods, but I made it out, and am out fixing what I can.   Day is light, work is sporadic and all over town.  

I have a work order for phone being out, and the name on the work order is old.   I have to get out there and fix it, no telling if this old lady is in trouble, as there isn't a cell phone to ring her.   Her house is on the far side of town out in the country.   

To get there, I have to go down a hill in a suburb.   I ease down the ice, slow and steady.   I let gravity move me, and hold off as much as I can on the break, no gas.   The van starts to spin around.  I am sideways, looking out the passenger window down the hill.  I keep sliding.   There is a car parked at the curb coming up.  I floor it, wheels spinning, and manage to slide past the car, my bumper an inch away.   I come to a stop at the bottom of the hill, awesome!  

I arrive at the old ladies house and plug her phone into the wall.  Problem fixed.  Was happy for the awesome successful sideways slide, didn't get pissed.

No comments:

Post a Comment