Friday, January 17, 2014

The Dog Whisperer

It is a daily routine to be given disconnects (discos) to go do. Quite often a gate is locked, or there is a dog in the backyard that inhibits one from performing the job, and thus it will be rescheduled.

When doing installs however, all measures should be tried to get to that tap location to hook up the new customer and complete the install. 

I was doing the feasibility walk around on a new install and went to go check out the pedestal that houses the tap. I peek over the fence to be greeted by the gaping maws of two German shepherds. The tap was right beside them. I went and knocked on the door, and no answer. No one was home to put these two mean dogs up. 

I called dispatch and had an assist set up for a guy to come help and keep these dogs off me while I hooked up my customer. Ol' Buddy shows up. Him and I walk to the fence where I have a ladder set up, as the gate is locked also. He peeks over, sees the dogs, and pales. He comes off the ladder.  "Dude, I'm a Cat guy.  I don't think I can do that."

My mother wrote the book on Toy Fox Terriers. She judged dog shows of numerous breeds. I grew up helping in obedience classes. I looked at buddy and smiled. "Ok, I'll hop over, and keep them off of you.  You hook up the customer.  Can you do that?" 

He nodded, and we did just that.

I hopped over and maintained eye contact. Dogs instinctively like to attack from behind. While I looked down one, the other would try to come around and get our sides. I waved a stick at the flanker, while keeping eye contact with the other.  Then I would switch. After a few minutes of that, Buddy said he was done and I covered him while he hopped over. Then he gave me a hand up, and I followed. 

The other cable guys talk poorly of Buddy, saying he's a lazy smoker. I know he helped me when I had to fend off two German Shepherds. Buddy's a good guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment