Friday, December 6, 2013

Buddy in a tree

Being a cable guy, we spend a lot of time up climbing telephone poles and running aerial lines. We have numerous safety protocols that must be abided by or else we face being written up or worse. 

We have to wear a climbing safety belt, specific boots, eye protection, gloves, and a hard hat. Some guys gaff, but I have opted out of that since it isn't needed so much anymore. I can carry my ladder to just about any pole.

It was late, past 7pm. and about time that I was wanting to head home, but I had to run a drop from a pole to a house.  Problem was, there was a large tree bordering the alley in between. I had been fighting the line through the tree for about thirty minutes already. I had attached it to the old line, and pulled....didn't work. I had thrown it numerous times, always got hung up.

A buddy shows up to assist, and did something that didn't even cross my mind due to all the safety topics we had to sit through over the many years of my employment. He walked up my ladder, into the tree, and walked from branch to branch with the line, and threw it down on the others side. 

He thought off the ladder. It didn't come close to crossing my mind, but it got us home. 

Good guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment